Thursday, July 30, 2009

Job Descriptions. Ugh.

Why can't I find a job? It's not because I don't look. Believe me, I do. It's not because I don't send out my resume and cover letters. Believe me, I do. It's not because I haven't read three different books on how to create the perfect resume and cover letter. Because I have. And I've even met with a career counselor and completely reconfigured my resume. Seriously... I just want a job!

I'm so sick of reading job descriptions. They're all basically the same. Everyone wants someone with a bachelor's degree. Got it. If you've got the degree, they'd also like you to be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite. Still got it. And if you're proficient in that, please also have great communication skills. Done. On top of that, please also be able to work independently but not so independently that you can't work well in groups. Still good. So why can't I find employment? Based on the job descriptions, I should be hired by now.

But I'm still unemployed. Non-profit organizations have passed on hiring me, major corporations haven't taken a second look, companies that have 100+ apparent open positions aren't interested either. What is so wrong with hiring a 27-year-old, educated, personable, organized, female? Seriously. Just give me a chance.

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there!! Remember, the unemployment rate is nearly 9% right now, so there are about 1 out of 10 people looking. It's not you, it's the crappy economy. Once it turns around, you'll be top choice for many companies. You'll have to choose!(preferably this happens in October, so we can still hang out until then...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has nothing to do with you and everything to do with the system sucks ass! After all, it's not what you know, it's who you know that counts, right?? Wait, hasn't the prevalence of incompetent people in positions of high responsibility directly contributed to the inefficient running of corporations, in turn resulting in the use of government money to bail them out and in essence reward them for said incompetent behavior? Naaaaah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I came across your blog from the Ramsey County Libraries link on Facebook, and you totally hit home. I don't know if you've had the good fortune to find a job or not, but I'm in the exact same boat - 27, college degree, and 4 years of financial experience, but no one even gives a second glance.

    All I can say is hang in there. You're not alone!

    ReplyDelete