Monday, July 27, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cupcakes


The chocolate chip cupcakes are good! (So far no one else has tried them, but I've had two, so they can't be all that bad.) They are super rich, even with all of the chocolate chips at the bottom. I skipped the homemade chocolate frosting and just used purchased chocolate frosting. I didn't notice a difference and I'm pretty sure no one else will. The cupcakes are just so good!


After this recipe, I've officially decided it really would be nice if I had a Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Before I only thought that it would nice to indulge myself with purchasing one. Now I'm realizing it might be becoming a necessity. Apparently Martha doesn't realize that not everyone has one. It's really hard to add the sugar in a steady stream when you are trying to keep the mixer that's in your right hand from throwing butter everywhere while the bowl in your left hand with the sugar in it keeps bumping into the mixer. Tricky business.


And beating the egg whites into stiff peaks didn't go so well. I didn't beat them too much, stiff peaks were formed. But as I was pouring them into the bowl with the batter, I noticed that there were still some egg whites that hadn't been sufficiently whipped up in the bottom of the egg bowl. I'm not sure what happened there. I figured that since a majority of the egg whites were in the form of stiff peaks, the still runny egg whites at the bottom should be fine. The cupcakes were going to be baked, so it's not like anyone would notice.


Here is my one complaint so far... three recipes in. In the first recipe (Cornmeal & Blackberry) I made, Martha commented that you should bake the cupcakes at 375 so that the berries don't sink to the bottom. Of which, the berries didn't sink to the bottom. Then I made two more recipes (Blueberry & Cream, followed by Chocolate Chip) of which the cupcakes are baked at 350. In both of those recipes, the blueberries and chocolate chips sank to the bottom. Why aren't they baked at 375? Why Martha? And... coating the chocolate chips in cake flour did not prevent them from sinking to the bottom.


I just love cupcakes!!

2 comments:

  1. That is weird that the "goodies" in the cupcakes keep sinking. Maybe try baking them at a different temperature?

    Can't wait to try them! They look SO yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They ARE so yummy! I can vouch...I've had 3 and so far...these are my favorite. Who doesn't love chocolatey cupcakes?

    ReplyDelete