Friday, July 17, 2009

Running Clinic

So last night was the first night of my TC 10 mile running clinic. I was a bit nervous about the whole idea of a running clinic and a running group. I'm not a fast runner, I'm the first to admit that. I lace up my shoes, hit the pavement, and just go at my own pace. So I was hesitant to sign up for the clinic because I figured that everyone else would already be a running guru and would be fast... then there would be me bringing up the rear of the pack.

Tracy found the running clinic at the Running Room and said she thought it would good for us. We would be "guaranteed" entry into the TC 10 mile race (in case we didn't get in via the lottery). That way we wouldn't have to risk running the race by ourselves should one of us not win the lottery. Side note... we both won the lottery!! Plus it would be helpful to learn more about running and training. And if we were both the slow people there, at least we could be slow together.

As it turns out, we're the fast people! There were 3 or 4 guys who were faster than us, then there was us. We couldn't even believe it... we were the leaders of the pack! What were the odds? First, we both got in the race via the lottery. Second, we were the fast kids in the running clinic. This race just might not be as bad as we thought. And, we're ahead of the "curve" because we can already run 6+ miles.

When we first got to the clinic, I sat next to one lady who has never run before. Literally, she has never laced up her shoes and gone running before the group run last night. That's impressive that she decided to tackle a 10 mile race as her first race. I told my mom last night that it would be like her deciding to run the race with me and my mom just started laughing because has zero intentions of ever running a race.

So... all in all, the running clinic has promise. I can't wait for next week!

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear things went well last night! Congrats on being the speedy ones of the group. That woman is brave for literally just starting running and of all things to join a running club. I would have definitely tried out running first to be sure this is what i wanted to do.

    B

    ReplyDelete