Saturday, January 23, 2010

Back to Basics

Yesterday, I decided to get back to what this blog was initially all about... cupcakes and running. So, I hit the treadmill at the gym in the morning and baked cupcakes in the afternoon. Wow, I forgot how much I really love cupcakes.

I really do not enjoy running on the treadmill. It's so hard to get back into it after spending months running in the great outdoors. And this winter it has been especially hard. After training for and running the TC 10-mile race, I was rather burnt out from running. There was so much build up to the big race that once it was over, all I wanted to do was kick my feet up and take a break. So... that's exactly what I did. I ran some through the fall, until the snow started falling, and then I pretty much took a vacation from running all together.

Now that the new year is in full swing, I've rededicated myself to working out and have decided to conquer the treadmill. Before yesterday, I jogged out just two "runs" and they were definitely nothing to write home about. But yesterday on the other hand, I managed an entire 45 minutes on the treadmill! There were a couple walking breaks, but in general it went well. Today, my right hip is sore (which usually happens after running on the treadmill). Once I've logged enough treadmill runs, my hip will be back in running shape and there will be no more soreness. So, other than the bum hip, I can't really complain.

And what better way to celebrate a successful treadmill workout than to bake some cupcakes! They weren't for me, it was Amy's birthday and we were finally celebrating. She requested chocolate cupcakes and of course, I delivered. They were a german chocolate cupcake from my beloved "Cupcake Doctor" book (by far one of my best cookbook investments). I even made the frosting from scratch and I never make my own frosting.

If I do say so myself, these were some darn good cupcakes! The cupcakes had buttermilk in them which made them extra light and fluffy. The frosting was pretty much butter, sugar, and cocoa... and no one can complain with those ingredients. So yummy!

Getting "back to basics" has been refreshing!

1 comment:

  1. You need a picture of your cupcakes! Or of Josh enjoying one. :)

    You've inspired me to run once this week. Surely I'll only be able to muster a 5.4 or 5.5 on the old tread. :-(

    ReplyDelete