Saturday, September 19, 2009

College Football

Let me just say this... I love college football! There is just something about it that is so much more inspiring than watching the NFL. I'm not going to lie, I'm not a huge Vikings fan. I don't cheer against them, I don't hope that they lose, but I definitely don't purposefully sit down on a Sunday (or Monday) to watch them. But college football on the other hand, I will make sure that I am home to watch select games.

I know it's going to sound random, but I love the Florida Gators. I think it started when I was young girl (approx. 13 years old) watching football with my Dad. For whatever reason, he was cheering on Florida State - we were watching the big FSU/UF game. Being 13, I wanted to cheer against him, so I picked the Gators. And what do you know, the Gators won. My love for them was cemented after that victory. I'm telling you, this love goes way back to the days of Danny Wuerffel - I didn't just jump on the bandwagon when Tim Tebow arrived.

So today, I had to make time for the Florida / Tennessee game.
I could have wasted way more minutes at my beloved Roseville library (I'm very good at wasting time at the library), but I didn't because the game was starting at 2:30 and I needed to be home to cheer on the Gators. All of that trash talking that Lane Kiffin did before the season began just made me even more fired up. I mean, please... did he really think that his team was going to march into "The Swamp" and beat the Gators? Yeah right! [Side note: Thank goodness they were on channel 4 because now that I don't get "deluxe" cable I would have been very, very disappointed to have missed the game due to it being a "sports" channel. Thank you CBS!]

And along with loving Florida, I also love Tim Tebow. How can a person not love #15?! He plays with grit. He plays with passion. He's fired up and he makes a statement on the field. He doesn't let Eric Berry - SEC Defensive Player of the Year - scare him. No, no. Tim meets Berry literally head on and shows Berry whose field it is - it's Tim's. [Side note: Tebow is the returning SEC Offensive Player of the Year. So he's got himself some skills as well.] And, Tim was the first sophomore to win the Heisman Trophy. Really, how can you not love him?

There's just something about the atmosphere of a college football game. The students. The band. The passion. The grit. There is so much festivity that it's hard not to fall in love with the game. Now that the MN Gophers finally have an on-campus stadium, they will rekindle that spirit. Not that people didn't cheer for them when they played in the Metrodome, it's just better now that they're in their own stadium. (Not that I would know since I haven't been to "The Bank" yet, but I can only imagine how fantastic it is there.)

I just love college football and I'm so happy it's September!!

No comments:

Post a Comment